Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, August 24, 2007

More of My Two Cents

I subscribe to Tadias magazine to keep up with the happenings and lifestyles of Ethiopians in the US. The great thing about an online magazine is that you can leave comments and of course I found a place to leave my two cents. (I probably should have been a lawyer!)

When the Mesgana dancers first arrived to the US they landed in NYC and were hosted by an African American Actor Leon. One Ethiopian was not to thrilled about that and as a result I was a little offended. I decided to leave a response but I must admit I wasn't sure how my response was going to be taken on an Ethiopian board so I used my middle name (Denise). Yes, punk I know! There was only 1 person that commented after I did but they agreed with me so I felt relief! From now on I'll use my real name. If I am going to cause trouble I should be proud of causing it NO?

Dureyie Demet Aug 14th, 2007 at 7:47 pm
the girls were amazing!!!!! they are beautiful, humble, talented and bright. The show was excellent along with the costumes and music. Thank you thank you. what i didn’t understand was why was LEON there?? why why why someone please explain!

Denise Aug 14th, 2007 at 8:51 pm
Why wouldn’t Leon be there? He had the means and interest to support the dancers so why are you being so divisive? We are all people of the African continent and should learn to love appreciate and respect one another. I saw the girls in Columbia and loved every moment of it. The crowd was diverse and it was awesome. And if you didn’t realize the purpose of the tour was to raise funds for education programs so if Leon and others can bring awareness to the plight of Ethiopia then great. Furthermore I am not Ethiopian I am of a mixed Afro Latin background but I am in the process of adopting my daughter from Ethiopia.

Kiki Aug 20th, 2007 at 12:28 pm
I just don’t understand what this is all about.
Thank you Denise.
I understand that organizers reached out to a few high profile Ethiopian’s first in order to draw attention, but none responded and then Leon jumped on board right away. Thank you Leon and I love the humanitarian work you do for ALL people. Let us not forget we ARE ALL ONE PEOPLE!
K

No comments: